Thursday, June 18, 2009

Escape

Sometimes I feel like I am involved in far too many situations that involve narrowly escaping calamity. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a survivor. However, I am not content with survival. I must thrive. Sure, I reinvent myself a little here and there along the way, but I thrive.

There was a mosquito flying around this morning inside my car. Both my son and I were swatting at it, and trying to slam it against the windshield, or clap it between two hands, or slap it on a leg, or even smash it on the other's face. However, despite the fact that we actually caught the little bugger a couple of times, we did not kill it. Not that we weren't trying!

However, as the little pest continued to sidestep our every attempt at it's demise, I secretly began to identify with the bug. I was even sort of rooting for it.

Life throws all kinds of things at you. Recognizing the threat is an important step. Taking action to avoid the doom is next, and then breathing a sigh, moving on, and flying headlong back into life is how to stay on track. I am learning this. It is not something that you learn in school. It is instinctive survival and determination that gets me through so much. Humans are resilient but you have to want it, and you have to be proactive.

The frightened (my projection here) little bug continued to dart around the hot interior of my car, with unexpected and unexplained obstacles. By the end of the 10 minute trip, my son and I were both laughing, and the mosquito was still alive.

As my son opened the door to head out to his summer camp, the little bug, determined to survive, and to thrive, though evidently in a new place all together from where he started his journey, flew out into the bright morning sunshine and into the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment